TOUR NAME: “Experience Oysters” Aquaculture + VIMS
Save the date(s). This tour goes on sale at the beginning of April.
DATE: Saturday, July 8, 2023
Rain date: Sunday, July 9, 2023 (save both dates)
DURATION (8 hour ROUND TRIP): 10:30 am – 6:30 pm (traffic dependent; flexible return time)
Please arrive at 10:00 am to board the bus. (REI 350 Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach) to board the bus. The check-in process takes a bit of time.
PRICE: $65 per person (8-hour tour)
DESCRIPTION: This tour has participants “experiencing oysters” in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. For a sample description, please read this blog (however we will go to the VIMS at Gloucester Pt and to Big Island Aquaculture this time – same article; different oyster farm: https://thenaturebus.com/experience-oysters/
10:00 arrive/check-in at REI/Town Center
10:30-10:45 departure from REI
Watch welcome to The Nature Bus video (10 min)
On-board MC welcomes everyone; introductions; fun & smilies
11:45 – 12:45 drive to VIMS Gloucester Pt. Laboratory
12:45 – 1:00 restroom/snack
1:00 – 2:30 VIMS Aquaculture/Seawater Laboratory behind-the-scenes tour
2:30 – 3:00 drive to Big Island Aquaculture Farm
3:00 – 5:00 Tasting at Big Island: watch oyster farmer Bruce harvest + shuck oysters out in the water and share a taste with you. Raw or fried. Or try both!
5:00 – 6:15ish Drive back to REI
– Food and drink: fresh oysters (just a sampling), bread, dipping sauces, spirits (wine)
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– Transportation to two locations (VIMS Aquaculture/Seawater Laboratory and to Big Island Oyster Aquaculture Farm)
– All fees (including admission/permits, tolls)
– Expert pre-planning services; contracting with oyster farmer; securing permissions and guide for behind-the-scenes tour at VIMS
THINGS TO BRING:
– Your digital/printed ticket
– Printed/signed waiver (please print at home, sign and bring to board the bus)
– Photo ID
– Refillable water bottle, sunscreen, sunhat, insect/tick repellant
– Rain jacket/umbrella if needed (we go in light rain)
– Closed-toed/tennis shoes/boots (if could be muddy if it rained the day before)
– Pack plenty of “pocket snacks” that you can eat when walking outdoors (please no eating on the bus); it is an 8-hour tour and oyster tasting is at around 3:30 so you will want to have your own food/snacks to hold you over.
– CASH (it is customary to tip 15% to the guide)
– $20 cash if you’d like to purchase a Nature Bus t-shirt! Available on board.
Important NOTES “Know before you go” ~
*We go “light rain” or shine. See our weather policy FAQs page. Please dress for the weather. In the case of light rain, we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of very heavy rain and wind, we move the experience to our rain-date. Be sure both dates will work for you (the original date and the rain-date). ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus. Please arrive 30 min before departure. Save time at check-in by bringing your signed waiver. No restroom on board the bus; arrive early enough to use the rr at REI/Fresh Market. We will make rr stops throughout the tour. We cannot wait for latecomers because we must adhere to our planned itinerary. Therefore we must pull away at the exact departure time. We cannot receive telephone/text calls to let us know your are running late because we will driving and using the phone as a GPS.
*ALL OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. TICKETS ARE NOT REFUNDABLE.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The bus is sanitized between each tour. Feel free to open your window if you prefer. Please stay home if you are not feeling well or have a fever. Federal Law no longer “requires” masks be worn on airplanes, trains and buses, however we strongly recommend them in the closed-in space. Masks are optional.
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab. See you soon!
- Please help fill up this tour! Share on your social media and with everyone you know! We need a minimum of 10 seats, maximum of 16 seats for each tour to go. Spread the word!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
|show details +||$65.00 (USD)||Goes On Sale|
April 1, 2023
Sale Dates- The dates when this option is available for purchase.
Goes On Sale: April 1, 2023 8:00 am
Sales End: July 9, 2023 11:55 pm
Access- This option allows access to the following dates and times.
July 8, 2023
10:30 am - 6:30 pm