TOUR NAME: Explore Four Unique Habitats
DATE: Saturday, January 22, 2022 (rain-date is Sunday, January 23)
DURATION (ROUND TRIP): 10:30 – 2:30. Please arrive at 10:00 to board the bus. Departure from REI 350 Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach.
PRICE: $25 per person (purchase your ticket at TheNatureBus.com > Calendar)
DESCRIPTION: Bundle up in warm layers, pack your sack lunch, and say YES to this new adventure! Hoffler Creek Nature Preserve has remnants dating back to the 1800s. The 142-acres, once owned by the Ballard Family, has been reclaimed by nature. Let your mind imagine . . . a farm growing fruits and vegetables, transported by steamboats to market. Now this land is in Nature Preserve status, with the mission of protecting four unique habitats and the wildlife. Hop-on-board The Nature Bus, with an expert guide. She is both a Hoffler Creek board member and a Master Naturalist! We will walk the peaceful trails, while she tells us the interesting story of the Ballard Family, pointing out nature facts along the way. The habitats include riparian forest, meadow, Lake Ballard, and tidal creek with salt marsh. Keep your eyes open for possible wildlife encounters! The flora and fauna at Hoffler Creek are plants, fungi, deer, foxes, turtles, lizards, and 200+ species of birds (bald eagles, eastern bluebirds, wildfowl, herons, osprey, hawks and falcons).
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– All fees (including admission fee to the locations; bridge/tunnel toll, naturalist guide on board the bus and in the field; excluding food/drink)
– Binoculars (we loan you a pair of bins to borrow during the tour)
– Expert pre-planning services
THINGS TO BRING:
– Bring an insulated sack lunch (we will provide picnic blankets)
– Printed/signed waiver (pre-print at home to save time at checkin time)
– Photo ID
– CASH (it is customary to tip 15% to the guide)
– Dress for the weather; layers. It may be a cold day.
*We go “light rain” or shine. See our weather policy FAQs page. Please dress for the weather. In the case of light rain, we lend you an umbrella; we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of heavy rain or icy roads, we move the experience to our rain-date. Be sure both dates will work for you (the original date and the rain-date). ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus. Please arrive 15-30 min before departure. We cannot wait for latecomers because we must adhere to our planned itinerary. Therefore we must pull away at the exact departure time. We cannot receive telephone/text calls to let us know your are running late because we will driving and using the phone as a GPS.
*ALL OF OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The Nature Bus has been outfitted with dividers between rows of seats. The bus is sanitized between each tour. We ride with windows partially open, like an open-air tram (weather permitting). Please stay home if you are not feeling well or have a fever. On trains, planes, and buses it is Federal Law to wear your mask.
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab. See you soon!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
January 22, 2022
10:30 am - 2:30 pm