TOUR NAME: Mariner’s Museum, Lunch & Nature Walk
DATE: Saturday, May 20, 2023
Rain date: Sunday, May 21, 2023 (save both dates)
DURATION (ROUND TRIP): 10:00 am – 2-3 pm (traffic dependent; flexible return time)
Please arrive 15-30 min before departure to board the bus. (REI 350 Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach)
PRICE: $35 per person (admission to the museum included!)
DESCRIPTION: Join us for a day of exploration on the grounds of one of Virginia’s most historically rich museums. We’ll begin our morning in Virginia Beach and board The Nature Bus to Newport News. Once we arrive at the museum, a guide will meet us to provide a 90 minute walking tour of the grounds. The museum is home to the scenic Nolan Trail. Be prepared to see wildlife of all varieties as well as partake in tree and floral identification! After our guided nature-hike, we will break for lunch. Guests should bring a packed lunch. After lunch, we will break for a self-paced, self-guided tour of the various historical exhibits housed at The Mariner’s Museum. See below for more information about what to expect inside the museum. After our tour is complete, we will board The Nature Bus and return home to Virginia Beach while discussing the amazing historical perspectives and natural elements of our adventure.
From The Mariner’s Museum: “For over 90 years, the history of the ocean and its relationship with humankind has been told and displayed in one of the largest maritime museums in the world. In 1930, The Mariners’ Museum was brought to life by the shared vision of Archer Milton Huntington and Homer L. Ferguson. Today, The Mariners’ Museum sits in an urban oasis – the 550 acre park is now home to the 167-acre Mariners’ Lake and the Noland Trail – a five-mile shoreline trail with 14 bridges. Within the Museum itself you will find 90,000 square feet of exhibition galleries including the prestigious International Small Craft Center, and the award-winning USS Monitor Center. This state-of-the-art exhibition and conservation lab houses 210 tons of artifacts from the Civil War ironclad Monitor, which were recovered from NOAA’s Monitor National Marine Sanctuary. The Mariners’ Museum Library and Archives is home to nearly 110,000 books; 800,000 photographs, films, and negatives; and over 1 million pieces of archival material, making it the largest maritime library in the Western Hemisphere.”
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– Transportation to and from Newport News
– Unique walking tour of the Nolan Trail. This part of the tour will take 90 minutes and feature an in-depth narrative of trees and plants, including an overview history of the scenic 550-acre park.
– Entrance to the Mariner’s Museum to explore the exhibits and history.
– All fees (including admission/permit/tolls, excluding food/drink.
– Expert pre-planning services
THINGS TO BRING:
– Pack your lunch. We have coolers on board the bus to keep your items chilled, or feel free to bring your own insulated lunch box with ice pack. We have a reserved space inside to eat our lunch or if the weather is really nice we can access the outdoor patio terrace. We also have picnic blankets if you prefer.
– Your digital/printed ticket
– Printed/signed waiver (please print at home, sign and bring to board the bus)
– Photo ID
– Cash (it is customary to tip 15%+ to the guide)
– Water bottle, sunscreen, sunhat if it is a sunny day
– If you are on one of our forested tours: insect repellant; it is advised that you wear long pants and tuck them into knee high light colored socks to protect yourself from ticks. Always be sure to “do a tick check” when you return home.
– Rain jacket/umbrella if needed (we go in light rain)
– Closed-toed/tennis shoes/boots (if could be a bit muddy if it rained the day before)
– Snacks for your pocket when walking outdoors (please no eating on the bus).
– $20 cash if you’d like to purchase The Nature Bus t-shirt! You’ll love it. Can only be purchased on board the bus.
Important NOTES “Know before you go” ~
*We go “light rain” or shine. See our weather policy FAQs page. Please dress for the weather. In the case of light rain, we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of very heavy rain and wind, we move the experience to our rain-date. Be sure both dates will work for you (the original date and the rain-date). ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus. Please arrive 15-30 min before departure. Save time at check-in by bringing your signed waiver. No restroom on board the bus; arrive early enough to use the rr at REI/Fresh Market grocery store. We will make rr stops throughout the tour. We cannot wait for latecomers because we must adhere to our planned itinerary. Therefore we must pull away at the exact departure time. We cannot receive telephone/text calls to let us know your are running late because we will driving and using the phone as a GPS.
*ALL OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. Due to lack of storage space, the bus cannot accommodate wheelchairs or walkers. TICKETS ARE NOT REFUNDABLE.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The bus is sanitized between each tour. Feel free to open your window if you prefer. Please stay home if you are not feeling well or have a fever. Federal Law no longer “requires” masks be worn on airplanes, trains and buses, however we strongly recommend them in the closed in space. It is optional and encouraged to wear your mask while inside of the bus; of course it can be removed when outdoors.
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab. See you soon!
- Please help fill up this tour! Share on your social media and with everyone you know! We need a minimum of 10 seats, maximum of 16 seats for each tour to go. Spread the word!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
May 20, 2023
10:00 am - 3:00 pm