TOUR NAME: Pontoon Boat to Spawning Sturgeons
DATE: Saturday, September 17, 2022
Rain date: Sunday, September 18, 2022 (save both dates)
DURATION: Full day tour! Virginia Beach to James River, Richmond. 7:30 am – 3:00 pm (traffic dependent; flexible return time)
Please arrive at 7:00 am to board the bus (REI 350 Independence Blvd, Virginia Beach). First come, first served for seating selection.
PRICE: $50 per person (7.5-hour tour)
DESCRIPTION: Want to see a 6 foot fish leap out of the water right before your eyes? Hop on the Nature Bus for a unique opportunity to see one of the iconic fish in North America, the Atlantic Sturgeon. These ancient giants call the Virginia coast home and during the late summer and early fall they make their annual return up the James River to Richmond for spawning. The Nature Bus will take you up to Richmond (along the James River on historic Route 5) to join the James River Association (JRA) for a PONTOON BOAT TRIP. You will see one of the amazing natural wonders of Virginia – the breaching sturgeon! Thought to be a way for the sturgeon to communicate, you will see 6-10’ sturgeon leaping from the water; it is a spectacle not to be missed! JRA educator and Nature Bus guide, James Abbott, will be doing a presentation on the bus and on the boat to share information about Atlantic sturgeon and the James River. We will also be making a stop for lunch (not included, bring $ or your packed lunch).
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– Transportation to three locations: From REI Virginia Beach to Williamsburg stop at JRA office; James River Richmond, VA; restaurant for lunch; back to REI.
– All fees (including permits, fees and tolls, excluding food/drink)
– Expert pre-planning services; securing required boat and guide for this tour
THINGS TO BRING:
– Either pack your own lunch (we have coolers on board the bus and picnic blankets and folding chairs) or bring $ to buy your own lunch at a restaurant/diner.
– Your digital/printed ticket
– Printed/signed waiver (please print at home, sign and bring to board the bus)
– Photo ID
– Water bottle, sunscreen, sunhat, insect/tick repellant
– Rain jacket/umbrella if needed (we go in light rain)
– Closed-toed/tennis shoes/boots (if could be muddy in places if it rained the day before)
– Snacks for your pocket when walking outdoors (please no eating on the bus)
– CASH (it is customary to tip 15% to the guide)
– $20 cash if you’d like to purchase a Nature Bus t-shirt (available on board)
Important NOTES “Know before you go” ~
*We go “light rain” or shine. See our weather policy FAQs page. Please dress for the weather. In the case of light rain, we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of very heavy rain and wind, we move the experience to our rain-date. Be sure both dates will work for you (the original date and the rain-date). ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus. Please arrive 15-30 min before departure. Save time at check-in by bringing your signed waiver. No restroom on board the bus; arrive early enough to use the rr at REI/Fresh Market grocery store. We will make rr stops throughout the tour. We cannot wait for latecomers because we must adhere to our planned itinerary. Therefore we must pull away at the exact departure time. We cannot receive telephone/text calls to let us know you are running late because we will driving and using the phone as a GPS.
*ALL OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. TICKETS ARE NOT REFUNDABLE.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The Nature Bus has been outfitted with dividers between rows of seats. The bus is sanitized between each tour. Feel free to open your window if you prefer. Please stay home if you are not feeling well or have a fever. Federal Law no longer “requires” masks be worn on airplanes, trains and buses, however we strongly recommend them in the closed in space. It is optional and encouraged to wear your mask while inside of the bus; of course it can be removed when outdoors.
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab. See you soon!
- Please help fill up this tour! Share on your social media and with everyone you know! We need a minimum of 10 seats, maximum of 16 seats for each tour to go. Spread the word!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
September 17, 2022
7:30 am - 3:00 pm