TOUR NAME: Red-Cockaded Woodpecker/Longleaf Pine Tour
DATE: Saturday, May 13, 2023 (Rain or Shine; dress for the weather)
DURATION (7 hours ROUND TRIP): 6:30 am – 1:30 (ish) pm, full day trip
THIS IS AN EXCELLENT TOUR FOR MEMBERS OF: Hampton Roads Bird Club; VA Beach Audubon; Cape Henry Audubon; VSO Virginia Society of Ornithology; Virginia Master Naturalist; and other birders and naturalists with experience. Of course beginner birders are also welcome.
DESCRIPTION: A staff member from The Nature Conservancy, and our experienced naturalist guide, James Abbott, will take us into the preserve to the nesting trees. We will visit cluster locations that are not open to the public, with a knowledgeable TNC person who regularly conducts nest checks and will know how old the chicks are! Early morning is the perfect timing to view the birds being very active. We “hope” to see parents feeding 1-3 day old chicks in their nest cavities. Besides the RCW, migration will be going on at this time, so it is an opportunity to spot other birds as well. Visit Piney Grove Preserve, home to Virginia’s rarest bird, the red-cockaded woodpecker. Once numbering in the hundreds of thousands, these birds have been drastically reduced due to loss of their exclusive old-growth pine tree habitat. Due to pine forest restoration efforts at Piney Grove, in 2019 18 breeding groups of red-cockaded woodpeckers were documented. Our naturalist guide will be the very knowledgeable and respected James Abbott! Bring your binoculars in hopes of viewing the elusive red-cockaded woodpecker.Check out this link for some important background information: https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/where-we-work/united-states/virginia/stories-in-virginia/va-how-we-work-longleaf-pine/
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– All fees (gasoline, special use permit; excluding food/drink)
– Expert naturalist guide
– Expert pre-planning services
THINGS TO BRING:
– Pack a lunch; we have coolers on board the bus. We will provide picnic blankets and folding chairs.
– Your printed/digital ticket (or your cell phone ticket)
– Printed/signed waiver (print and complete at home; you will need this to board the bus)
– Photo ID
– Water bottle
– Rain jacket
– Closed-toed/tennis shoes
– Pocket snacks (granola bars, trail mix, etc.) to eat while walking (please NO eating/drinking on board the bus)
– binoculars and magnifying glass if you have these (we can lend you bins if needed)
– CASH – it is customary to tip 15% for your guide
*We go “light rain” or shine. See our weather policy FAQs page. In the case of light rain, we lend you an umbrella; we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of very heavy rain or icy roads, we cancel the tour; you receive a refund. ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS unless we cancel the tour.
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus.
*ALL OF OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. We are not able to accommodate walkers and/or wheelchairs due to very limited space on board the bus.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The bus is sanitized between each tour. Feel free to ride with windows partially opened (weather permitting). Please stay away if you are not feeling well or have a fever. If you cannot use your ticket, feel free to pass it along to a friend or neighbor. ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS On trains, planes, and buses it is no longer a Federal Law to wear your mask. However, feel free to wear one if you choose; masks are optional.
- Please help fill up this tour! Share on your social media and with everyone you know! We need a minimum of 10 seats, maximum of 16 seats for each tour to go. Spread the word!
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab. See you soon!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
May 13, 2023
6:30 am - 1:30 pm