TOUR NAME: Relationship of Winter Ecology on Birds
DATE: Sunday, February 5, 2023
DEPARTURE LOCATION: Mount Trashmore 310 Edwin Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
DURATION – approximately 4 hours (ROUND TRIP): 8:00 am – 12:00 noon – (ish)
PRICE: $45 per person Register and get your tickets at this link:
DESCRIPTION: Hop on board The Nature Bus for a unique experience. Our guide will be Dr. Shawn T. Dash, a Chesapeake Bay biodiversity specialist! Not only will we see birds, but we will learn more deeply about their lives in winter, as we explore the ecology of wintering plants and animals. We will explore some of the unique habitats of First Landing State Park, both the forested areas and the Chesapeake Bay beach. Our morning will be filled with expert driven explorations of winter’s natural history of the region, spotting and enjoying the behavior of wintering waterfowl and resident bird species. We hope for the possible opportunity to glimpse Common Eiders or Razorbills. The variety of habitats allows views of wintering ducks, spotting numbers of migrant songbirds, and beholding the key assemblage of year around classics. Visit TheNatureBus.com for more trip details; be sure to click the green button for important information!
– Expert pre-planning services
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– Transportation: Departure from: Mount Trashmore 310 Edwin Drive, Virginia Beach > First Landing State Park 2500 Shore Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23451 (approximately a 20 min ride each direction; 40 minutes total)
– All fees (including gasoline, tolls, permits/admission fee to all locations, donation to facility, when applicable)
– Loaner binoculars (in exchange for your driver’s license for the duration of the tour). We will also bring a birding scope for this tour.
– (excluding food/drink)
– Your “guided tour” includes an expert naturalist guide; the guide will be on location at FLSP
–MEET YOUR NATURALIST GUIDE: https://thenaturebus.com/our-team/
THINGS TO BRING:
– Your binoculars, of course! If you do not have a pair of bins, we can loan them to you in exchange for your driver’s license for the duration of the tour.
– Pack a simple lunch in your backpack – a sandwich, power bars, or something else that is very EASY to snack on while walking outdoors. We will not SIT down to eat due to the colder weather (not picnic temperatures). Bring water to stay hydrated. Some folks might bring a thermos of hot coffee or soup to stay warm on the inside.
– Dress for the weather and trail conditions; warm layers, hat, rain jacket, comfortable walking shoes; air-activated heat packs/inserts for your socks and gloves
– Your proof of registration from the Winter Wildlife Festival portal www.vbgov.com
– Printed/signed waiver (If you forget yours we will have one you can sign on the bus, but it saves a lot of time when everyone prints theirs at home and brings it with them.) Here is the link to the required form: https://thenaturebus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/NB_Waiver1.pdf
– CASH (it is customary to tip 15% to the guides)
– $20 cash if you’d like to purchase a Nature Bus t-shirt (available on board)
Important NOTES “Know before you go” ~
*We go “light rain” or shine. Please dress for the weather. In the case of light rain, we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of very heavy rain, extreme wind or temperatures, we will cancel this tour and refund all participants. ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS for any other reasons, including sickness/covid. In this case, please sell/gift your ticket with someone you know.
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus. Please arrive 15-30 min before departure. Save time at check-in by bringing your signed waiver. No restroom on board the bus; arrive early enough to use the rr at Mount Trashmore before boarding the bus. We cannot wait for latecomers because we must adhere to our planned itinerary. Therefore we must pull away at the exact departure time. We cannot receive telephone/text calls to let us know you are running late because we will driving and using the phone as a GPS.
*ALL OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. There are 3 large steps to climb to enter the bus. We apologize, but there is no room on board to accommodate wheel chairs or walkers. Our tours require participants to be ambulatory and in reasonably good physical health to manage our nature excursions.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The bus is sanitized between each tour. Feel free to crack open your window if you prefer. Please stay home if you are not feeling well or have a fever. Federal Law no longer “requires” masks be worn on airplanes, trains and buses, however we recommend them in the closed in space. It is optional and encouraged to wear your mask while inside of the bus; of course it can be removed when outdoors.
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab or click this link: https://thenaturebus.com/reviews/
- Please help fill up this tour! Share on your social media and with everyone you know! We need a minimum of 10 seats, maximum of 16 seats for each tour to go. Spread the word! See you soon!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
February 5, 2023
8:00 am - 12:00 pm