TOUR NAME: Saturday Escape – Guided Tour of The Great Dismal Swamp
DATE: Saturday, March 7
DURATION (ROUND TRIP): 5 hours 9:30 am – 2:30 pm (check in at 9:15 please)
Departure from REI 350 Independence Blvd. Virginia Beach
We will be met by a naturalist with 20 years of experience leading people at The Great Dismal Swamp. Our very own expert in the field; what a treat!
Here is what she said that we can expect during our 3-hour guided tour: We will spend some time sitting on the bus, as she tells us the story of this magical, majestic place, the history of the swamp, how it was created, the underground railroad, and the burn scars from the fires of 2008 and 2011. We will get off of the bus and walk in a number of different areas! We may see baby otters as this is the time they are being born. We may get lucky and get a glimpse of black bear. Spring bird migration is just getting started, so we may see many species of birds (binoculars provided by The Nature Bus in exchange for your driver’s license J – or bring your own bins). We will go all the way to Lake Drummond, a natural lake located in the middle of the Dismal Swamp. Lake Drummond is the highest point in the Dismal Swamp, with nine small ditches flowing out of it. The refuge includes almost 107,000 acres of forest wetlands.
*Open to everyone. All ages welcome.
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– All fees (including permit, excluding food/drink)
– Expert pre-planning services
THINGS TO BRING:
– Food (pack a lunch; we have coolers on board the bus); Snacks (granola bars, trail mix, etc) Items that are easy to eat while walking outdoors. Food, drink, gum are not permitted on board the bus. Always step off of the bus to eat please.
– Your printed/digital ticket (or your cell phone ticket)
– Printed/signed waiver (or you can sign one on the bus; however it saves valuable time if everyone brings their waiver filled in and signed)
– Photo ID
– Refillable water bottle; we discourage single use plastic bottles (we have a 5 gallon ice water dispenser so you can refill your own water bottle throughout the day)
– We go rain or shine – bring a rain jacket, rain boots as needed – we provide umbrellas (ID to sign one out)
– Closed-toed/tennis shoes/good walking shoes
– optional binoculars, magnifying glass, loupe, notebook if you have these items (ID to sign out our binoculars)
– Cash to tip for your guides and driver (it is customary to tip if you enjoyed your tour)
*We go rain or shine, see our weather policy FAQson the page
*YOUR FEE INCLUDES TRANSPORTATION, TOUR GUIDES, ADMISSION FEES, AND/OR RENTALS WHEN APPLICABLE. FOOD/DRINK NOT INCLUDED. PACK YOUR SACK LUNCH. WE HAVE COOLERS ON BOARD.
*ALL OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY. *WE GO RAIN OR SHINE, SO DRESS FOR THE WEATHER. TICKETS ARE NOT REFUNDABLE. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. *WE DEPART EXACTLY ON TIME PLEASE ARRIVE 15 MIN BEFORE SCHEDULED DEPARTURE
- March 7, 2020
9:30 am - 2:30 pm