TOUR NAME: Woodpeckers Hike (public tour)
DATE: Saturday, April 30 (Rain date is Sunday, May 1st)
DURATION (ROUND TRIP): 9:30 am – 4:30 pm, full day trip
DESCRIPTION: Visit Piney Grove Preserve, home to Virginia’s rarest bird, the red-cockaded woodpecker. Once numbering in the hundreds of thousands, these birds have been drastically reduced due to loss of their exclusive old-growth pine tree habitat. Due to pine forest restoration efforts at Piney Grove, in 2019 18 breeding groups of red-cockaded woodpeckers were documented. Our naturalist guide will be the very knowledgeable and respected James Abbott! Bring your binoculars (or borrow a pair of ours) in hopes of viewing the elusive red-cockaded woodpecker.Check out this link for some important background information: https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/where-we-work/united-states/virginia/stories-in-virginia/va-how-we-work-longleaf-pine/
– Air conditioned/heated new vehicle
– All fees (gasoline, special use permit; excluding food/drink)
– Expert naturalist guide
– Expert pre-planning services
THINGS TO BRING:
– Pack a lunch; we have coolers on board the bus
– Your printed/digital ticket (or your cell phone ticket)
– Printed/signed waiver (print and complete at home; you will need this to board the bus)
– Photo ID
– Water bottle
– Rain jacket
– Closed-toed/tennis shoes
– Snacks (granola bars, trail mix, etc.)
– binoculars and magnifying glass if you have these (we can lend you bins if needed)
– CASH – it is customary to tip 15% for your guide
*We go “light rain” or shine. See our weather policy FAQs page. In the case of light rain, we lend you an umbrella; we simply take cover and wait it out. In the case of very heavy rain or icy roads, we cancel the tour; you receive a refund. ALL SALES FINAL/NO REFUNDS unless we cancel the tour.
*PLEASE: Eating, drinking, chewing gum is not permitted on the bus.
*NOTE: In addition to the general waiver, all participants are required to complete + sign a Covid form (form will be provided on board the bus before departure)
*ALL OF OUR TOURS INVOLVE WALKING; GUESTS SHOULD EXPECT VARYING DEGREES OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY.
COVID SAFETY MEASURES: We care about the health and safety of those participating in our nature experiences. The Nature Bus has been outfitted with dividers between rows of seats. The bus is sanitized between each tour. We ride with windows partially open, like an open-air tram (weather permitting). Please stay away if you are not feeling well or have a fever. On trains, planes, and buses it is Federal Law to wear your mask.
- We look forward to seeing you on the tour! Check out all of the 5-star reviews, so you will be super confident that you will have an amazing experience! You can read these reviews at TheNatureBus.com > click the REVIEWS tab. See you soon!
- If you have any questions, please text/call the owner. Suzanne 757-288-9595
April 30, 2022
9:30 am - 4:30 pm